Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Halloween Scene: Dog Soldiers (2002)

2008-11-08 12:21:17 am

I remember when Dog Soldiers came out, there seemed to be a lot of hype about it online. It came out around the same time as Ginger Snaps (or at least I heard about them around the same time). But I never saw it until last night and I wasn't all that impressed.

The movie, directed by Neil Marshall who also directed Doomsday which I had a great deal of fun watching and The Descent which I haven't seen, but have heard good things about, features a bunch of Scottish soldiers in the woods as they stumble upon werewolf attacks during a routine training mission. The movie ends up feeling very much like Predator, but with werewolves instead of awesome Predators. It's not a bad movie, but it just didn't feel all that original. I'm also not much of a werewolf movie fan. I dug Silver Bullet, but for the most part I don't really like werewolf flicks. For whatever reason they've never really resonated with me. Then again, I've never seen American Werewolf in Paris or the original Wolf Man movie.

In the end, it's a good movie if you haven't seen Predator or if you really love werewolves. Otherwise, you might want to pass on this one and check out Ginger Snaps which I remember liking at the time, but haven't seen since.

No comments: