Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Wanted: My Third Favorite Comic Movie of 2008

2008-12-16 3:41:04 am

Yup, I said it. Of course Dark Knight and Iron Man were the cat's pajamas, but what movie holds the third spot in my heart for this year? Well, without thinking about it too much (and not doing any real research), Wanted, which I saw for the first time this weekend on DVD easily takes the bronze cake. I also saw Incredible Hulk, which I found to be generally boring and mostly uninspired, and Hellboy II, which Rickey just watched. I share his sentiments and you can check out my comments over there for a few specifics.

Even though I liked Wanted for all of it's action movie craziness, I gotta say, I'm not a fan of the comic. I'm not a big fan of the idea of raping various women showing how much of a bad ass you are. We get it already, he's not held by society's rules. Plus, I found the end of the comic to be pretty dull, even though we were kind of influenced by it for the recent Secret Invasion TTT over in ToyFare.

Fun fact for those of you who might not know already, the screenwriters actually started writing the script after the first issue came out, but before the rest of the issues. They apparently came up with a lot of the same themes and plot points which I found very interesting. If you're interested in hearing them talk about their experiences writing the script check out the interview done with them on the Creative Screenwriting Magazine podcast via iTunes (I've enjoyed a lot of the podcast interviews on there). Anyway, that explains the differences in the plot, which include them not being supervillains among other things.

So, what I liked about the movie is that they just kind of went crazy with it. I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "loom of fate" idea, but whatever, it's just a goofy plot point that didn't bother or intrigue me, it just kind of sat there. I've always been a fan of stories where it turns out that a normal dude is actually really special (and in this case a born assassin) and Jame McAvoy plays the roll very well, going from schlub to annoying new guy to total badass (how can you not love the scene where he tells off his boss?). But beyond that, I also really like just how good these assassins are at their craft. They're not just good enough to shoot a dude from what looks like hundreds of city blocks away, but they can flip one car over another and shoot a dude through the sun roof. It's just a lot of fun and I had fun watching it.

Of course, it's not a perfect movie. It would have been cool to see them as villains, but hey that's just my inner geek talking. There's also a scene where James is chasing this dude who he thinks killed his dad and out of nowhere all of the other assassins that we know (Common, Angelina Jolie, a few others, but not Morgan Freeman) and things just go crazy. Why were they there? I really didn't get that and I don't think that it got explained even with the twist ending (which I was expecting, but Em even called it before the reveal). I also thought the twist got a little confusing. If he did what McAvoy says he did, then who's to say he wasn't lying about the other ones? That will make sense, if you've seen the movie and you're thinking of the library scene towards the end of the movie. Oh, also, McAvoy's assault at the end is freaking sweet even if I'm still not quite sure how he got them to explode.

I guess I should comment on the other stars. Morgan Freeman definitely elevates what's probably not a very good role on paper (as you'd expect). Common's pretty cool as the Gunsmith. I think this is the first movie I've seen him in. I wouldn't mind seeing him as Green Lantern John Stewart, as he was potentially cast in the Justice League movie. And then of course there's Angelina Jolie. She's one of those actresses that I'm not a big fan of until I actually see her in something. I've got this kind of mental block about her (probably because I don't like the person I see on TV and whatnot), but then I think about Hackers and Gone in 60 Seconds and I dig those movies, so I guess I like her.

So, in the end, congrats to Wanted for getting my coveted (heh, who am I kidding?) third place in my 2008 comic book movie list (I'm sure I'm missing something, but maybe not). But watch out, I still haven't seen Punisher: War Zone, which I'm hoping will fill the same kind of niche (I love Dolph's original and it looks like WZ follows in its footsteps pretty well, though without the Shakespeare-quoting drunk bum).

No comments: